AK Turner is The New York Times bestselling author of the Vagabonding with Kids series (Brown Books) as well as This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, Mommy Had a Little Flask, and Hair of the Corn Dog (Fever Streak Press). Her works have received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, an IPPY Award for Humor, and been named in BookLife’s Top 5 Indie Books of 2014.
AK Turner has traveled to Greece, Ireland, France, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Canada, the Netherlands, Finland, and Italy, and completed extended trips (two months or more) to Russia, Palau, Vanuatu, Mexico, Morocco, England, Spain, Australia, and Brazil.
She is a contributor to the anthologies Leave the Lipstick, Take the Iguana (Traveler’s Tales), Little White Dress (Mill Park Publishing), I Just Want to Be Perfect and I Just Want to Be Alone (Throat_Punch Books). Her work has been featured online at Scary Mommy, In the Powder Room, The Huffington Post, Nickmom, Felicity Huffman’s What the Flicka?, and Artocratic, among others, and in a variety of print publications.
She is a former humor columnist, founded “The Writers’ Block” on Radio Boise, serves on the board of the Idaho Writers Guild, and speaks at conferences and in live comedy events. A former Writer-in-Residence for the City of Boise and Idaho State Parks, she lives in Idaho with her husband and two children, but travels frequently as a part-time digital nomad.
AK Turner Vroom Veer Stories
- Grew up in Maryland, studied Russian, even visited Russia at age 15
- Studied Russian through college, and suddenly fell out of love with Russian
- Met her husband (to be at the time) on a trip to Cabo, then moved to California
- Waited tables and scrubbed toilets while “trying to be a writer”
- Husband figure out he hated his dream job in one month…that was quick
- Hubby started a new gig working on boats for movie shoots around the world
- Landed in Boise, finally got some traction talking to an editor from Penguin
- The penguin deal fell through after two years of talk (groan)
- Self-published This Little Piggy went to the Liquor Store, and is New York Times Best Seller
- Continues to travel; Vagabonding with Kids is a book series, blog, and a lifestyle.
AK Turner Links