Chris Brogan was very kind to be on my show at launch…this is a quick chat, but well worth a listen. Fun, and insightful about what is right and what is wrong in the world of content creation.
Chris Brogan explores how people use content and community to build marketplaces around areas of belonging. He is CEO of Owner Media Group, a sought after public speaker, and the New York Times bestselling author of eight books and working on his ninth, Belong: A Framework for Embracing Community, Driving the Economy and Building the Future. Learn more about him at chrisbrogan.com.
How did you become a Buddhist
- Chris went to an event with his better half Jacq Shambala event.
- Jacq broke all the rules and became BFFs with Pema Chodron
- Chris does his Buddhism on his own by reading and meditating.
Can you run your life at 40% and get a business going?
- Chris see many people starting out running around being busy because they don't know what they are supposed to do…he get's that.
- Figure out where you belong instead of where you fit in…then things start getting smarter, quicker, faster.
- Chris serves people who are trying to figure how to:
- Create Content that
- Nurtures a community
- and perhaps earn the opportunity to create a marketplace
- You can run at 40% when you stop chasing “everything” and you start serving those people you have the pleasure and opportunity to serve.
- If you don't know where you belong, it's takes some internal work to figure out where you are supposed to be.
Life at 40% allows one to build an energy reserve
- Being sleep deprived doesn't serve anybody…should be for emergency (non business) use only…such as life and death situations.
- Chris build his life with plenty of blank space on his calendar to serve his people.
Chris never has burnout
- He puts his mask on first he serves himself and his higher power
- 2nd circle are the people he loves the most…not all his loved ones…those he loves the most.
- 3rd are mentors and people he mentors
- 4th are customers
- Many people put customers first, but those are the people who gain/lose weight, or get sick and loose time.
Chris Brogan: Belonging, Content, and Community
- People are throwing out content without knowing “WHY” they are doing it.
- There's a lot of box checking going on in the Platform space….somebody said I need a podcast…here's a podcast….CHECK!
- It makes Chris weepy.
- He wants the whole “content marketing” community to work better
- Content has to serve 1) the content marketer is served by creating a possibility for an opportunity to sell 2) serve the community as useful, entertaining and informative.
- Belong to the Community you want to serve…like if you want to serve the Spartan Race crowd…run the Spartan race…or partner with them.
- You need to listen to what the community wants and needs and nurture your belonging relationship within the community.
- Then you can earn the opportunity to sell within that community.
- The reason people have a hard time selling is they are pushing against a space wherein they have not earned the opportunity to sell…that's what Chris is trying to fix.
- You don't need to create a community you just need to belong and start serving to earn an opportunity to sell.
Are “Quotes” content marketing?
- A quote of Chris's is loaded into a robot that tweets 100 everyday and they all have @chrisbrogan. This screws up his tweeter feed.
- Those are robots talking to robots…nobody cares about your quotes.
- Chris did 45 tweets everyday…the same tweets…nobody complained.
- Sharing other people's stuff is pretty cool.
- The powerful shares are natural and organic within the community that contains cleverly embedded branding.
- Like the Spartan Race Community loves to snap instagram pics of people all muddy jumping over fire…that's powerful content.
- Quoting a bunch of crap because you think you are supposed to be making noise is just making noise.
Chris Brogan Links
Chris Brogan Current Blog & Weekly Newsletter Sign-Up: http://www.chrisbrogan.com
Owner Media Group: http://ownermag.com/
Chris Brogan Speaking Topics: http://chrisbrogan.com/events/
The Owner's Mind Podcast: http://hbway.com/omradio
Owner Media Group Courses: http://ownermag.com/store
Chris Book List on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Chris-
Ratings and Review help the show grow!