Lane Kawaoka is a City Project Engineer and a Licensed Professional with a Masters degree in Civil Engineering and a Bachelors in Industrial Engineering both from the University of Washington in Seattle. Aside from his day job, he is the co-owner of MPFE Investments, focused on value-add multifamily apartments (currently owns 260+ units), and manager of the Simple Passive Cashﬂow Fund.
Lane’s passion project SimplePassiveCashﬂow.com, is a free podcast and online learning resource in passive real estate investing. Working as a high paid professional in Corporate America and frustrated by the traditional wealth building dogma, Lane was compelled to inspire and mentor other working professionals on how to do real estate investing and build their own portfolios.
Lane urges other working professionals to just get started saving the for the 20% down payment for a conventional loan to acquire a single family home rental.
The Simple Passive Cashﬂow method is for buying investments with a healthy cashﬂow buﬀer that can withstand a market downturn. Lane has received much appreciation for his work via kind words from his audience. In addition to mentoring, Lane also partners with beginning investors who want to build their portfolio, but are too busy to handle direct investments. He uses his engineering mind, investing knowledge, and network to optimize investment returns for others via a diversifed fund backed by real estate called “The Simple Passive Cashﬂow Fund.”
Lane Kawaoka Vroom Veer Stories
- Grew up in Hawaii with strict parents and no car; moved to Washington state for college
- After college did a “money grab” job; traveled 6 days a week; no life
- Bought a house; realized it was mostly empty, so he rented it out
- Started investing in single family houses; found out that the money was elsewhere
- “Traded” his single family homes for multiple family units to provide value
- Advocates “have money first” instead chasing the “no money” deals
- How to save money? How about be cheap ass–for a while
- Started a fund for RE investors who have jobs; also teaches on blog/podcast